Monday, July 31, 2006

Day of Firsts...

Remember how yesterday I told you that today was going to be a big day for the Hall household?

Well, it was. Tara started her first full day on the new job today. She was a little worried about this, even though she worked there two and a half days last week as part of her "working interview".

She was more worried about Jaxson's Big Day. After scrambling last week to find suitable child care for The Cutest Baby in The World, we finally settled on a place not far from where I work. His first day was also today.

Talking about it over the weekend, Tara said that she was glad that it was me that had to take him to Day Care today. She gets somewhat--ok, very--emotional about these kinds of things. Had she been the one to drop him off today, she might not have made it to her first day of work. She might have just driven straight back home.

Because of the on-the-way-ness of this new place, it will be my chore to drop The Boy off each day.

When I get there, the place was already abuzz with older, bully-looking, kids. I became concerned for my son's well-being. He's only 4 months old; he can't fend off bullies who want his lunch money.

I took him into the Infant I classroom, and there were already two other kids there. They seemed to be friendly, and the teacher seemed nice enough. Reluctantly, I handed over my firstborn. It was then that I realized why Tara didn't want to drop him off.

Don't get me wrong--I didn't cry. I'm no sissy-man. I did, however, get--and I chose this word carefully--misty. I told Jaxson to have a good time, and that I loved him, and that I'd be back later to pick him up, and that I loved him again.

Jaxson didn't understand the gravity of this moment, because he just looked up at me and grinned one of his big, Jaxson grins. I think he was trying to get me to play with him a little before leaving. The caretaker lady said something about how remarkably cute he is, and I couldn't help but agree. I kissed him on the forehead, told him that I loved him again, and decided that I had better leave before misty became weepy.


When I picked him up later in the day, it was obvious that he was well taken care of while I was away. The day care attendant gave me a form showing all the stuff he did during the day, and told me that he was a delight. (I knew this already.) He looked up at me, and gave me another wide, toothless grin. He was glad to see me, but not nearly as glad as I was to see him.

I talked with Tara as I was leaving by cell phone, and it sounded like her day went well...but she was more interested in what Jaxson did. I told her about how amazingly well he did, and I could hear the relief in her voice.

Once we all were home, it was obvious that the Big Day took its toll on both of them. I have photographic proof:

Shhh! They've had a long day.

They've earned this nap.

All in all, the day went well. I dropped off Jaxson for the first time, Tara started her new job, and Jaxson became a Day Care kid--and, I'm glad to say--we all survived.

Until next time...

Norman


2 Comments:

At August 01, 2006 11:10 AM, Blogger Cortni said...

I am so glad that everything went so well yesterday! You made me "misty" reading this post!

I love the mommy-n-boy napping pictures!

 
At August 02, 2006 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pictures and information of the day of firsts. Things will get better, when he says " By daddy, see you later".
You may get misty eyed again. When he would rather go to day care than stay at home. (Just kidding).

Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home